We're looking to see if Jira would be a good fit for our IT Department, consists of 4 teams: Ops, Dev, Business Analysts, and Helpdesk Team (they already have a helpdesk so for them this is just for their projects/tasks, not looking at Jira Service Desk now, but maybe in the future).
We deal with a hundreds of systems (SharePoint, SQL Server, VMware, custom website, ESB, ERP, etc.), solutions (that may be built on top of or involve multiple systems), and projects (typically an initiative to implement, improve, or upgrade a solution or product). At any given time we have active ~5 major projects (major= involves 10 or more people spanning multiple teams and outside vendors, 6 month duration or longer), and around ~50 minor projects (2 or 3 people, a few tasks may or may not span across teams).
I'm trying to see the best ways to organize this in Jira.
We could do 1 Project per Jira Project, but we'd end up with hundreds of Jira Projects and I don't see a way to prioritize one project over another.
We could also make a Jira Project for each team and make our "Projects" into Jira Epics, I like this idea and would probably work. One issue we'll run into here is we need to be able to prioritize some projects (Jira epics) over other projects/Jira Epics and we'd Jira to reflect that, I'm sure there's a way to do it but I'm just not seeing it.
For our systems and solutions I was thinking of making those labels or components.
Any suggestions?