At our company, we are using the Confluence Wiki and many people got annoyed by the amount of notifications they receive for Wiki edits because apparently everyone left the notify checkbox on all the time.
So our tech team found a way to modify the page so that saving without notification is the default, which now results in people making lots of edits of which the wiki moderators will not get notified (edit: they use No Email Storm).
Is there a cleaner solution? I would suggest two ways of fixing this, would you agree or am I missing something that is already in place?
1) In the e-mail options, add a checkbox "notify for all changes" which when checked will send you a notification even if the author did not tick the notification box.
2) In the e-mail options, add the possibility to get a daily update on all changes made to watched wiki pages (even those that did not have notifications active). You could even allow the user to choose a frequency for these updates (e.g. every x hours, every day, every week, etc). I know there is a daily update for special interest mails but this is different: I would like to get a separate mail for changes in any wiki I am watching.
I am responsible for keeping my wiki space correct and up-to date (it contains a manual) so I would need a way to monitor all changes, regardless of whether the author chose the notify option. At the same time I understand that most people don't want to receive a large amount of spam, so I think in the end both options would solve the dilemma.