I'm curently trying to set up a test system for updating our production Confluence. The old one is still at (shame, shame) 5.6.4 and a direct upgrade to 6.3.4 failed, unsurprisingly. So I decided to upgrade to the last 5.x version, 5.10.8, which worked just fine. However, the step to 6 still fails with
Upgrade failed. Please consult the system logs for details. You will need to fix these problems, restore your database and confluence home directory to the pre upgrade state. Then retry the upgrade. Upgrade error message: Cannot update schema
The problem is, there's absolutely no useful info in the logs. No exceptions, no error messages, nothing of the sort I'm used to from Jira upgrades. Here's the entire {{catalina.out}} from the "Starting Confluence' line on:
2017-09-12 09:26:06,158 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] contextInitialized Starting Confluence 6.3.4 [build 7202 based on commit hash e97769bbf919c0bd667762fc102f557beacb7f94] - synchrony version 1.0.0-release-confluence_6.1-78073294
12-Sep-2017 09:26:06.200 INFO [localhost-startStop-2] org.springframework.context.support.DefaultLifecycleProcessor.start Starting beans in phase 2147483647
12-Sep-2017 09:26:06.223 INFO [localhost-startStop-2] org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.initServletBean FrameworkServlet 'dispatcher': initialization completed in 2088 ms
2017-09-12 09:26:09,688 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.confluence.cluster.DefaultClusterConfigurationHelper] lambda$populateExistingClusterSetupConfig$1 Populating setup configuration if running with Cluster mode...
12-Sep-2017 09:37:29.221 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8080"]
12-Sep-2017 09:37:29.274 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 689129 ms
12-Sep-2017 09:37:32.682 INFO [http-nio-8080-exec-6] com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._initiate Initiating Jersey application, version 'Jersey: 1.8-atlassian-16 03/23/2015 10:20 PM'
I suppose I can raise the logging level somewhere but am not sure which screws to turn here. All the settings in Confluence itself are on DEBUG already but I guess that doesn't take effect until after the schema has been upgraded.
Any pointers would he greatly appreciated.