Hello everyone, I have been recently hired to manage a small 7 person IT operations team. My initial assesment is that we need a way to track Tasks for the whole facet of running a mid tier enterprise system. Its the full range of running an IT shop. Maintenance, upgrades, patching, improvements, etc... from a small workstation, to multiple servers in a VM environment across 3 networks that are physically seperated across different states.
The main purpose is so I can keep folks on track to complete any of the above, set priorities, change priorities if necessary, complete tasks that can be short (1 day) to deadlines that could be 6 months or a year out.
My biggest need for this is that management likes to throw in new tasks, yet expect us to meet deadlines of other tasks and we end up with many priority 1's, but not enough staff. This makes us look bad.
I really want to show management some reports of what everyone is working on, a calendar of tasks that are due and the biggest is to show that when they throw in a new task how it moves other "pri 1" tasks to the right.
This should keep folks on track, let everyone else know what each other is doing, and I can show metrics to management.
We do not do Agile/Scrum. We meet once a week to go over what everyone is working on. I do not plan to adopt Agile/Scrum sprints right away. This may change, but not what I need from the start.
I have been involved with other teams that do sprints using JIRA and I like the product. I have never configured JIRA, just created taks related to the small area of things I was working on.
So all you smart JIRA people. Can I use JIRA for what I need? IF so, which install? Based on my searching, it looks like I only need server CORE and can add others later if I need to.
Your help would be appreciated.