I just installed Source Tree on Windows 8.1, opening the terminal doesn't works. Neither the button in the ribbon, or actions or pressing shift+alt+T, opens the terminal.
What can I do to fix this ?
We are three developpers to have the same behavior here! Is someone have a solution?
We're having the same problem here as well, it seems to be a little random, and some people have found that it suddenly started working again, but we don't know what caused it to start working either (theory that changing from "Use System Git" to "Use embedded Git" fixed it doesn't seem to work and was the only real lead we had).
We're on Windows 7 64-bit, SourceTree 1.7.0.32509, and Git-2.7.0-64-bit.Also have Tortoise Git installed (1.8.16.0-64bit).
I, and others in my team are seeing the same problem as Chris.For the record - the terminal button opens git-bash by default, and you can manually open it by running the corresponding executable. If you are using system git on windows the default location should be C:\Program Files\Git\git-bash.exe.
We have the same Problem with the new Sourcetree version 1.8.2.3.
Win7
Same problem with 1.8.2.11, Windows 7 64-bit.
Note that SourceTree does not start the terminal when not in a repository (e.g. fresh install, no repo yet).
To enable the terminal, either:
I also had the same problem with SourceTree 2.3.1.0 and Git 2.14.1 - Git bash not started correctly for existing repositories.
I've added Git folder to the environment's PATH, but this didn't solved the problem, next I uninstalled and installed again SourceTree (didn't help)So i created an empty repository and... terminal worked correctly with it.Then I copied existing repository into the newly created repository (overwrote all files) and... terminal started correctly (why it didn't work before? I don't know). It looks like and internal SourceTree's error.And now is the best: I removed all repositories from SourceTree and instead Add command I dragged and dropped them again into SourceTree and... terminal window started working correctly.
This worked for me, as well.I removed my bookmarked repo and tried adding it back using the Add button and dialog. The terminal command did not launch anything.Then I removed the bookmarked repo again and tried adding it back by dragging the folder into my repo folder. Then the terminal command started working.Version 2.4.7.0
I had this problem, too.
Drop and Add worked for me, too. Thanks, Brian.
I'm having the same issue. What is the "my repo" folder you are able to drag the folder containing the repo onto?
Same problem in the year of 2020!!
Version 3.3.6
Please fire millennials!
Same problem - 3.3.6 help please?
I have the same issue.as a workaround I changed the used 'git verison' options --> git --> git versionfrom 'emmbeded' to 'System'now I got a terminal again
This worked for me. Thank you!
Worked for me. I'm current using Sourcetree version 3.3.6
Thanks Mark
Same problem here with 3.3.6...
Same issue with Version 3.3.6.
Switching between embedded and system git versions didn't help.
Tried 3.3.7 -- same problem. In fact, the latest version that could open the terminal for me was 3.2.6 (to which I just have downgraded (again)).
Worked for me after updating installed git to the latest version( 2.25.0.windows.1). Source tree version 3.3.6
Same problem with 3.3.6
Downgrading to 3.2.6 was the solution for me too. Really frustrating as 3.3.6 was working and randomly died on me. Windows 10
Same here, 3.3.6, win10 64, tried everything suggested in this thread and it didn't work so I'm downgrading the version
Just tried the newest version 3.3.8 -- still NO LUCK. Please, Atlassian, repair the Terminal-Button...
Same problem - version 3.3.6
Same problem here with SourceTree 3.3.6 on Windows 10 x64. Updating the system git version from 2.22 to 2.25 fixed the issue, but I'm not sure the issue is related to the version of git.
Same issue on 3.3.6-3.3.8 (Win 10 64bit). Downgrading to 3.2.6 was also the solution for me.
Thanks @jhensonWV, downgrading to 3.2.6 worked for me too.
I like Sourcetree, but nearly every time I update it, something goes wrong.
Previously, I've had issues such as OK and Cancel buttons doing the opposite thing to each other, another time it had a memory leak, which made Sourcetree unusable, and now this problem with terminal not working.
I'd like to be able to recommend Sourcetree to other developers, but every update is a gamble.
Same problem with 3.3.8 on Windows.
Interestingly, I just installed 3.3.8 on a new computer and the terminal opened fine with the embedded Git. However, the problematic one on my other computer still couldn't open the terminal after an update. I have too many projects in bookmark and settings are too complicated to afford a clean reinstallation. Maybe someone can teach me how to do so as I may still need that one day.
Finally, I found this post
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/Terminal-button-in-SourceTree-fails-to-launch-a-terminal/qaq-p/113865
The solution works for me. I am on 3.3.8.
Cite here
- Updated SourceTree to 3.3.8- Updated Embedded Git- Disabled "Use Git Bash as default terminal" in "Tools->Options->Git"- Starting Terminal now launches command prompt- Restart SourceTree- Enabled "Use Git Bash as default terminal" in "Tools->Options->Git"- Starting Terminal git bash now works
I was having the same problems w/ the terminal window.
I was able to get it working again. by only updating the embedded Git version. (Under Options > Git > Git Version pane > Update Embedded.
I was using Sourcetree 3.3.8 as well. It may be that the extra steps you mentioned, aren't required.
In case you're still having an issue, check out Steven Chang's answer in this post.
Updating the embedded version and restarting SourceTree worked for me as well.
Sourcetree Version 3.3.9
Tools->Options->GIT tab-> scroll down to GIT version -> Update Embedded et voilá !!!
Sourcetree 3.8.8. For me the solution was to update git (not embedded, but system).
More than 5 years later, and problem is still being ignored.
Nicely done.
I have a workaround for this issue. The same workaround also seems to resolve all other issues I had with Sourcetree:
🤣
Unfortunately, Fork doesn't seem to support Azure DevOps yet?
Same problem with v3.4.3.
I can confirm that this solution works. Funny, sad but true...
I have this problem for a year plus
Same problem with 3.4.4.
Actually, it was "Options -> git -> System" selected in my case which was not opening the terminal. I changed it to embedded, sourcetree then downloaded the git and installed it. Afterward, it started working fine.
Downloading and updating to Sourcetree 3.4.4.0 + updating embedded Git to 2.30.2 solved the problem for me
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.