I would like to use Oracle's SQL Developer to connect to our JIRA database to create and run queries directly against the database. However my connection attempts all end in no connection being made. The IT people in charge of the servers are less than helpful (one of them said to my boss that I did not have the right "profile" for such activities despite the fact I was designing relational databases back in the 80s whilst he was in pre-school).
So my question is: does anybody know how I should configure SQL Developer to connect to the JIRA database?
BTW: We are running JIRA 7.3.6 with Oracle 12.
I am also quite willing to use other programs, as long as I can develop and run scripts to get results from the database. I already use SQL Server Management Studio for our MS SQL Server databases.
Thanks for any help you can give.