I have an idea for a way to use Confluence to single-source content for reuse in other applications, and I'm wondering if I can create a plugin (or plugins) to accomplish this.
Example: Let's say I have a page of documentation that includes a one-line definition for an "Item ID". I want that exact same definition to show up as a tooltip in a completely separate application that lets users populate "Item ID".
My idea is that I could tag the one-line definition in Confluence using a custom hidden macro, and give it a unique key like "item-id-definition". The macro would have no visible effect on the documentation.
Let's say in total I have 50 of these text strings, each with an associated unique key. I could then have some process run every couple of hours that pulls in every snippet of text that is tagged with this custom macro, and export the text and the key into a separate database or data file. The application needing the text for the tooltip could then lookup the text by key and pull in the content.
Can this be accomplished?