Are there any document classification approaches already built-in Confluence?
Are you looking for classification schemes or tools to classify pages (not documents?)?
For classifying pages Confluence provides labels and page properties. Blueprints take advantage of both. Each page created with a blueprint is automatically labelled and listed on an automatically created index page. Page properties allow to specify a blueprint-specific set of metadat.
An example is the Product Requirements Blueprint.
So this may be the closest to a built-in classification scheme, since each blueprint defines a document type with a set of metadata.
Maybe user templates support your use cases, too. They can be created from within Confluence, while blueprints need to be developed as a separate project.
Needless to say that there are plenty of add-ons on the Atlassian Marketplace that support many use cases around this topic ...
Thanks for the answer
But, I want to classify documents not pages
Documents you attach to a page, like in a content management system?
Yes, specifically the documents are in Google Drive.
I want to classify them in Confluence
Maybe I'm looking at this from the complete wrong angle, but wouldn't you create a page with metadata that describes the document? Maybe you are looking for a tool that derives this metadata from the document in Google Drive?
The closest to this I know of (and this is not very close ;-) ) is the Share Link Blueprint. It allows to create a page in Confluence with (some limited) metadata from a webpage. I know of no such tool for a document.
We use blueprints (together with third-party add-ons) to describe resources and then list and reference these resources from within Confluence. But the categorization is done manually and the reference to the resource is a link (or URI). The number of documents we deal with is quite limited, though.
The document is not a first-class citizen in this approach. I assume that is what you are looking for.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.