I've found documentation pertaining to this but I have some questions.. I already have Confluence installed. As I understand it comes with Tomcat by default. I'm using MySQL as my external database. Now.. I also just installed JIRA. Does this mean Confluence and JIRA are sharing the same Tomcat container? I found the documentation HERE pertaining to running JIRA behind Apache but I'm confused. How do this work and do I have to uninstall JIRA based on what I mentioned above?
Ryan cleared it up for me.. Thanks for all of your help on this everyone.. Maybe I'm a little slow but I tried to make Ryan's actual comment the answer.. Anyway.. Ryan cleared it up below.
Hi Chris,
if you installed JIRA Standalone, it is using a different Tomcat, that is embedded into JIRA INST Folder. You can setup the apache proxy without problem and configure proxy rules for JIRA and Confluence even if they are using two different containers.
I hope this helps.
Fabio
As I understand Apache will act as a HTTP proxy allows both Tomcat installs to presented as a single port.. I don't mind JIRA and Confluence being on seperate ports in regards to portals facing the internet or the end user.. So... Then we get back to the fact about being able to perform maintenance on eithe one without affecting the other. I just ran the stop-confluence.sh script and was able to stop confluence without messing with JIRA. So.. It seems by installs are completely seperate. So, aside from sharing a single port why do I even need Apache? I'm a little confused to why I even need it.
-thanks.
As I understand Apache will act as a HTTP proxy allows both Tomcat installs to be presented as a single port.. I don't mind JIRA and Confluence being on seperate ports in regards to portals facing the internet or the end user.. So... Then we get back to the fact about being able to perform maintenance on either one without affecting the other. I just ran the stop-confluence.sh script and was able to stop confluence without messing with JIRA. So.. It seems my installs are completely seperate. So, aside from sharing a single port why do I even need Apache? I'm a little confused to why I even need it.
Daniel,
As mentioned above I don't care about the apps being on port 80.. I have a virtual directory from a different webserver pointing users to www.mydomain.com/team. This takes them to Confluence. When at Confluence at the top left hand corner you can select different apps.. So , they can toggle between Confluence and JIRA. Maybe I'm missing something.. I'll probably set the Apache up just because it seems to be fairly simple.. But still not sure if it's even needed.
Ryan understads my design.. It seems good..
Maybe I needed to clarify earlier but Ryan gets what I'm doing. Initially I was concerned that I didn't have two different installs. Since I do then my tomcat design is sound. I'm not sharing a single container. The virtual directories I have are from a different server. Our website is hosted on this server.. So.. I simply created virtual directories pointing to each URL/port number.. This other server already existed and will always exist on a different server.. So, aside from aesthetics (different port numbers being displayed) I should be good.. Of crouse I can setup Apache using the proxy but I don't see a difference aside from different ports being shown in the browser. I can start/stop JIRA or Confluence without affecting each other. So.. This seems like a sound config..
Thanks for everyone's input. Confluence and JIRA are awesome and so far a great community.
(Provided for answer)
You said it yourself:
I have my primary web server (different server) with virtual directories
You've already got a proxy directing traffic back to the separate applications. Each application runs inside it's own tomcat instance on it's own ports - so they can run fine on the same machine as you have already discovered. Depending on how you want to access them determines whether or not you need apache or any other kind of proxying.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.