Last weekend I upgraded my Debian 8 (jessie) OS, upon which Confluence (6.1.1 I believe) runs, to Debian 9 (stretch).
During the upgrade I was prompted that postgresql 9.4 would be considered obsolete and 9.6 installed:
The PostgreSQL version 9.4 is obsolete, but the server or client packages are still installed. Please install the latest packages (postgresql-9.6 and postgresql-client-9.6) and upgrade the existing clusters with pg_upgradecluster (see manpage).
Please be aware that the installation of postgresql-9.6 will automatically create a default cluster 9.6/main. If you want to upgrade the 9.4/main cluster, you need to remove the already existing 9.6 cluster (pg_dropcluster --stop 9.6 main, see manpage for details).
The old server and client packages are no longer supported. After the existing clusters are upgraded, the postgresql-9.4 and postgresql-client-9.4 packages should be removed.
Please see /usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/README.Debian.gz for details.
After completing the installation I upgraded my 9.4 cluster to 9.6 (but did not delete it) and competed the postgresql upgrade procedure. Made sure that postgresql was running on 5432 and started Confluence. However I couldn't reach it via HTTP.
I figured this might be caused by https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-44216
I performed some action to put postgresql 9.4 back online and set 9.6 offline. Changed the ports and finished with restarting postgresql
sudo pg_lsclusters
Ver Cluster Port Status Owner Data directory Log file
9.4 main 5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/9.4/main /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.4-main.log
9.6 main 5433 down postgres /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.6-main.log
Then restarted confluence.
However I still get a gateway timeout via Nginx (used as reversed proxy) and directly via 8090 I get a 404.
Even though I see confluences is running (see systemctl) and also using the ports I expect:
$ sudo netstat -tulpn | grep java
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8090 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 26905/java
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8091 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 27205/java
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:8000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 26905/java
Any help would be appreciated