Hi,
there is this great post about how to use the Atlassian tools in a Salesforce Development context (https://developer.atlassian.com/sfdc), but I am missing something here.
When using a Git repo with branches and forks and pull requests and stuff, but also when using Bamboo or BitBucket Pipelines which automaticaly deploys your code to a Salesforce org, where does your code lives ?
I mean, with a classic IDE (let's say Sublime Text + MavensMate or the Force.com IDE), the code lives in the Salesforce org. So when I Cmd+S, the code is automatically compiled and stored inside the org, which I consider to be the master branch (so the workflow is broken here).
But if I understand the post properly, you got to create a branch for the feature, develop your code, create a pull request, and when the commit happens, it is Pipelines/Bamboo's job to deploy the code from the branch to the Salesforce org.
So where does your code lives ?
And more importantly, which IDE that does not interfere with this workflow do you use ? I would need an IDE that is Salesforce-compatible (for instance, autocompleting the system classes), but that does not save the code directly in the org, but rather in a Git repo.
And final question, how do you test that your code works properly BEFORE commiting to the master, if the code does not live in the org ?...
Thank you !