Hi,
I want to have a group with read only permission in JIRA 4.2.4 (Bug tracking and project tracking for software development)
I can only set permissions through "permission scheme" that doesn't include "view" permisson.
How can I set that in 4.2.4 version?
Thanks in advance.
Vida
The permission helper arrived in version 6.something.
As well as the screenshot Jeremy asked for, which will be a great help, you will want to check the workflow in use for "conditions" on the transitions.
The default workflow for example contains conditions on the "resolve" transition that says "only people with the permission to resolve issues can use this". But if you're not using the default workflow, you may not have the correct conditions.
In older versions of JIRA, including 4, you could easily create a workflow that let anyone transition an issue, and hence resolve or close it, even if they had no other rights.I suspect that's what you have done here. You need to put a condition on *every* transition to protect them.
I usually set it up with something like:
Dear Vida Ghodstinat,
The viewing of a project within JIRA is handled by the ''Browse Project'' permission. JIRA 4.2.4 also has this permission;
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA042/Managing+Project+Permissions
Browse Projects
''Permission to browse projects, use the Issue Navigator and view individual issues (except issues that have been restricted via Issue Security). Many other permissions are dependent on this permission, e.g. the 'Work On Issues' permission is only effective for users who also have the 'Browse Projects' permission. ''
So; You could give a certain role only the Browse Project permissions but nothing else if you want them to be read only.
Friendly Regards,
Jeremy
Dear Jeremy
Thanks for your answer.
I've done this before, but users with Browse Project permission can close or resolve issues.
Is there other option I can do?
Regards
Dear Vida,
As far as I know, JIRA 4.2.4 also has seperate Close and Resolve permissions. You could limit these two permissions so that the user who has Browse Permissions cannot Close or Resolve anything.
Dear Jeremy,
I also limited those permissions to other groups exept that user. It didn't help.
Regards,
Dear Nic,
My apologies. You are indeed correct about the permission helper. Because of involvement in different work I slightly forgot about that fact :-). Indeed it seems that all permissions are correct.. so there are no communication errors.
I believe too, that he now has to limit certain transitions.
Thank you for your view on this.
No apology needed - there's so many changes in JIRA's history, it's perfectly natural to not know where a function arrived!
And I often answer questions and then realise they're on an older version, so I'm wrong.
Thank you so much for your remarkable point mentioned. My problem is fixed by using your solution.
I never noticed that it could affect on permissions. I learned something useful today thanks to you.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.