I run a cycle time report at the end of every month for one of my teams. I have 4 categories: To Do (open), In Progress (in progress), Ready for Release (resolved), and Closed (closed). I go into the control chart and set the time frame to the 1st of the month to the last day (30th or 31st). I will choose one column at a time to get the cycle time for that particular status.... so for example, for April 2017's numbers, I would set the date range to 4/1/17 - 4/30/17. Then I only leave one column checked in the drop down. So if I only choose "To Do" it will show me the average cycle time of any JIRA that entered and exited the open status during the month of April.
I did this for April on May 3rd 2017. The chart indicated the average time spent in "To Do" was 9w 2d. However, I went in and ran the exact same report again, from 4/1/17 to 4/30/17 today (7/7/17) and the cycle time for "To Do" is 1w 1h 41m. How is this possible? How does the data in a PAST month change? If I ran the report on 5/1/17, to me nothing would be able to change going forward since we cant go back in time.