I was exposed to Confluence through my job. The company I work for has a license, and my co-workers and I use it everyday for document storage. I've used several wiki platforms including MediaWiki, and Confluence is by far superior.
I'm creating a genealogy wiki for my family, and after considering my options, I would definitely prefer to use Confluence as I'm already used to it, and I know my older family members will be able to use the editor with no problems, they'll never have to touch wiki markup. This makes Confluence ideal for my personal family project.
I would happily pay $10 for a license (or even more), but I expect more than ten of my family members to contribute to this wiki. Additionally, I expect it to be around for a long time with my children and children's children contributing to it. I can't drop $24,000 for unlimited users for a personal wiki project.
Is there anything in the middle or is Atlassian willing to work with me on a custom license? I really would prefer to use Confluence for this project as the alternatives are too hard for the older members of my family to figure out how to use.