I see there are predefined caches in pipelines now...that's great. We are using maven, so I'll use that as an example here.
I am, however, unclear on how they work. I could see it one of two ways.
- The predefined maven cache comes pre-populated with some well-known subset of maven central and is shared among all users, and is not updated by the build process at all.
- It is just a predefined definition, and the cache is actually populated on every repo's build so it include everything that we put into that maven local repository, including stuff from maven central, but also stuff we get from our own corporate repository.
- pro: everything cached in one place.
- con: population of the cache for common maven dependencies/plugins is still downloaded from our own corporate artifact repository.
- con: potential privacy/security concern that our corporate artifacts are cached. (more information on this issue is appreciated in the docs at well).
I've been trying to configure it assuming option #1 above, but it does not seem to work properly -- or at least the reported cache size is very small (eg <900
, so I don't think it is working based on that.
It would be nice if the documentation of Pipelines Caching were updated with more details, about this issue and all around.