I've got a co-worker who accidentally pushes "c" all the time which accidentally archives things that should still be active. Is there a way for a user to disable keyboard shortcuts?
A solution was shipped today. Now you can go to https://trello.com/shortcuts and click the toggle to disable keyboard shortcuts.
https://community.atlassian.com/forums/Trello-articles/Option-to-disable-keyboard-shortcuts-is-now-available-on-Trello/ba-p/3094599
Hey Nathan,
Right now there's not an option to disable keyboard shortcuts, but I'll pass this feedback along to the team!
StevenTrello Support
Okay, thanks for the info!
Please add this feature, shortcuts are annoying as hell
What is just *brutal* about the keyboard shortcuts is when you mis-click a text entry and start typing, they start applying. So I go to edit a title or description, and suddenly I do 5 unexpected things to the card because I didn't actually get the input to focus.I really want a way to disable these. ESPECIALLY ARCHIVE! Our team has lost a ton of time to `c`. Why is that so easy to do!
you should also really add a way to delete an answer when you meant to reply instead
Necro on this topic, because it has been 2 years without any update. Disabling / modifying keyboard shortcuts is still needed. Any update on progress to this end?
Agree completely with the above complaints. The UI is slow to react when clicking in a text box (in our case Custom Fields are the main issue) and anything typed before the textfield is accepting input is taken as a shortcut.
I would remove every single shortcut in a second (except 'f' for filter) so there is almost no upside and a huge downside. Archiving with a 'c' is extremely dangerous.
This really is needed, as there are so many keys that can quickly derail a project with cards spontaneously archived, mislabeled, etc. The only other option may be to not auto-apply in a card/board and allow escape or some kind of undo.
Disabling the keys as a preference (including by default for the whole board and all users) is by far the easiest to implement.
+ 1 to this.
I made a browser extension to disable all shortcuts on Trello (except tab, escape and enter).
Sad to have to do that, but since Atlassian don't want to address this issue...
To anyone needing a solution to this here is the extension: https://github.com/SosthenG/trello-shortcut-killer
+1 I just started typing thinking I was typing in another Windows window then suddenly the contents of the card were replaced with the contents of another random card in the same list. (using arrow keys I have to click about 7 times to get to the random card).
all I typed was " 'portal " and then I noticed the card name was being changed to " al "and I am not able to reproduce it...
I have this problem all the time, not only me but everyone else who's working with my Trello boards, I see cards archived randomly, people are added and removed from cards.
So... It's 2024. What do we have today with hotkeys? Nothing has changed.
Just have one small mis-click a text field. And then push all the dangerous buttons! Archive the cards! Delete the boards! Do everything to make you feel uncomfortable.
When I've pressed a key accidentally you can check Menu > Activity to see if you did something wrong... then just manually reverse it.
Better than sweating and wondering if you just archived something critical!
`c = Archive` ???
Who thought that was a good idea? I kept bumping into this accidentally and had no idea how it'd happened.
Allow us to disable shortcuts please.
Is it possible to disable ALL SHORTCUTS? I have the Windows app installed and often accidentally add something to Trello while I'm working. I want to remove all shortcuts!!!
"c" to archive a card is one of the daftest ideas imaginable. A recent bug also meant that text boxes deselected, so all sorts of madness occurred.
Such a simple solution to such an annoying issue.Excellent!
Thank you for taking the time to develop this.
This is becoming a serious problem for multiple teams in our company, leading to errors in our products. Many users are unaware of single key shortcuts and are archiving or leaving/joining cards daily. Disabling would be so helpful to our 30+ company subscriptions.
I have submitted a ticket with this issue. You can vote or watch this ticket to boost the priority. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/TRELLO-100
In the meantime the only workaround I know of is to use something like the extension I made that disables all shortcuts.
It's free, lightweight, and available for Firefox and Chrome , it disables every shortcuts except TAB, ENTER and ESC.
This gives me faith in humanity!
Same problem! Feels like a big issue.
Hey! Now that it is 2025, it feels like an annual duty to remind Atlassian to perhaps let users disable keyboard shortcuts?
In our case, we have a team of 30+ people working on a board, and let me tell you the mess we have with trying to find cards that go mysteriously missing from time to time...
Can this become an urgent item on your to do list to implement?
Thanks!
Cheers, me and all the other people begging for this since 2017.
This is a life saver. I was getting highly tempered due to the shortcut behavior.I'm selecting some texts and mistakenly left out some letters of a word. I can't select the ones those left out anymore. I have to start my selection from the beginning. Else, I could use shift+right arrow to select the remaining text. But you know what? Pressing that command immediately gets you to next fucking card.
If by any chance the UX team of trello see this, whoever did this crappy UX, are the dumbest UX guy I've seen for a while.
+1
I thought I was going nuts; I accidentally move or archive cards all the time and it freaks me out - I know how to move them back but the point is that the shortcuts cause way more trouble than necessary. Definitely need the ability to disable them in personal settings.
They really don't care about the user experience as the people who use the software aren't the ones who pay for it.
Hooray - thank you!
Thank you!!
Awesome.Thank you!!!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.