We're using Bitbucket version 4.4.1 to manage git repositories in a local Windows server installation. The server is also host to a JIRA installation, which used LDAP user authentication. Both are being run as a Windows service.
I'm trying to get Bitbucket to use the JIRA user authentication and followed the instructions on the Connecting Bitbucket Server to JIRA for user management page, possibly incorrectly or incompletely. After completing that process, we can no longer log in to Bitbucket or access our git repositories.
I tried to log in with the Bitbucket administrator account, but was informed of an invalid username or password. The JIRA instance still works as expected.
I followed the Lockout recovery process instructions for Bitbucket, but get the same 'invalid username or password' error when attempting to log in with the 'recovery_admin' user and password (set in the `JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS` environment variable in the `setenv.bat` file).
In step 3 of the Lockout recovery process, it says "Log in to Bitbucket Server": does this mean log in via the web user interface, or something else?
Where should I start looking for what is wrong?
Update 1
In the atlassian-jira-security.log file I've found the following:
/rest/usermanagement/1/group/membership login: 'Bitbucket' tried to login but they do not have USE permission or weren't found. Deleting remember me cookie.
Do I need to create a 'Bitbucket' user in JIRA, in addition to the application in the JIRA User Server configuration?
Update 2
I've restored the back-end MySQL database from before I made the change to the user authentication and still cannot log in, either as the old admin, or using the 'recovery_admin' account.