Hello,
I'm confused about how merges work. I had a situation today where I tried to rebase my code and it told me I had to manually merge some changes. So I was able to do that in visual Studio 2015. Then I tried saying "git add [myfile]" and that seemed to work. Then I tried "got rebase --continue".
That's when things got confusing. It said: "WebAPI/Controllers/FileUploadController.cs: needs update. You must edit all merged conflicts and then mark them as resolved using git add." <-- But there were no conflicts in FileUploadController.cs. I only removed a reference to System.Web.Http.Cors.
So I said: git add FileUploadController.cs. Seemed to work. Then I said: git rebase --continue. It complained again saying the same thing.
So then I tried undoing my changes to FileUploadController.cs. I said: git rebase --continue. This time it spat out the following error message:
"Applying: fixed unit test
No changes - did you forget to use 'git add'?
If there is nothing left to stage, chances are that something else
already introduced the same changes; you might want to skip this patch.
When you have resolved this problem, run 'git rebase --continue'.
If you prefer to skip this patch, run 'git rebase -skip' instead.
To check out the original branch and stop rebasing, run 'git rebase --abort'."
Finally, I said: git rebase --skip, and that seemed to solve the problem.
So my question is: why is continuing rebase so bloody difficult after a merge? Why does it get so confused? There were absolutely no conflicts in FileUploadController.cs. It wouldn't even let me commit my changes to it. What's a guy supposed to do?