I created a user and want to configure his permissions in a way that he can only have access to 2 of the projects that we manage in Jira. How can I achieve this?I tried to read several articles I found online but got lost.
This all depends on the permission schemes that are configured for those two projects - they may have a shared permission scheme, but they also might have different permissions.
This also depends on the type of access the user should have to the projects - should he or she have full access? Read-only access? Project admin access?
If you can figure out the type of access you want to provide this user, then take a look at the permission schemes for these projects, you can then figure out how you will need to add the user to the project. As mentioned here, project permissions are granted based on:
Hope that simplifies it a bit for you into actionable steps. Every JIRA instance handles this a different way, so I can't really give a straightforward answer since I don't know how that JIRA instance is set up.
Additionally, I wouldn't change the permission schemes to give this user access. I would figure out which permissions the user needs, then see which roles/groups have those permissions and add the user to one of those roles/groups.
Admin permissions for just those 2 projects. Everything has the default settings, we have not customized anything.If I add him to the admin group, wouldn't he have access to everything? I am an admin and I can see everything.
I would not put him in the admin group you mentioned as he would be able to see the same thing you do.
If you want to give him admin permissions for those two projects and you're using the default permission scheme, then you should just be able to add him to the Adminstrators project role just for those two projects (the project role is not the same thing as the admin group you mentioned).
This is how that section is set up:
At this point, I would look at the user's project roles in the User Management section in the JIRA admin. Find the user in User Management, then in the Actions column, click the option to "View project roles" - here, you'll be able to see which projects the new user has access to and why (whether he has been added to a project role directly, or if he is part of some user group that belongs to a project role).
My current guess as to what happened here is that the jira-users group has access to all projects and the new user was put into that group automatically when he was added to the JIRA Software application.
According to the configuration, he should only have access to the 2 projects that I added him to using your recomended steps.Yes, I also think the issue comes with him belonging to the jira-users (default) group. But if I remove him from that group he can't see anything. :S
It isn't good practice to add the jira-users group to ANY permission scheme or role unless you specifically want EVERYONE to have that permission. Using it in permission schemes causes this problem to many people. I've had very few projects I've ever wanted universal access to
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP ALEX!!!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.