I'm currently evaluating JIRA Portfolio and have run into an odd snag. For some reason, Portfolio isn't recognizing parent links.
We already had the "Initiative" issue type and were using an issue picker add-on to group epics together. To reflect this setup, I added the initiative hierarchy level in portfolio.
As expected, the epics in a newly made plan said they were"Without Parent Initiative". I simply opened each one and set its Initiative to match what we had in the seperate field. I committed the changes, and then all of the epics went back into "Without Parent Initiative". Sure enough, the "Initiative" field had reverted back to being blank on all of the issues.
As a second test, I added the "Parent Link" field to the UI of our epics. I went through a bunch of them and added the link to the appropriate initiative. I went back into portfolio, and still, those items are reported as being "Without Parent Initiative". If I open the issue, the "Parent Link" is still populated. In Portfolio, the "Initiative" field is still blank for all of them.
As a third test, I went into Portfolio and added the "Initiative" link on several epics on which I had already set the parent link from the issue. The value I set in Portfolio overwrote what was on the issue, but within the portfolio the epic still remained in the "Without Parent Initiative" group and the link was blank once again within portfolio.
No matter what I do, the epics will not move to their parent within Portfolio.
I'm not sure if it matters, but for our setup we have 2 different types of projects. One that just contains Initiatives and another that contains, Epics, Stories, etc. Thus, epics and initiatives are never in the same project (epics always belonging to a delivery team and initiatives belonging to a business unit).
I'm assuming that I'm doing something wrong or have an odd configuration somewhere, but I cannot figure out what is amiss.
What criteria need to be satisfied for portfolio to recognize the parent link?