Hi
It looks like Atlassian is containerizing a handful of their products here: https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/ which is great! We are using JIRA Core for internal work tracking and it is a great tool. We hope to get more benefit out of the tool with some small customizations and a containerized JIRA instance for local development (and possibly even deployment) would make it even more awesome! Are there any plans to add JIRA to this list of supported containers?
If not, do you recommend any of the community made JIRA containers? Here are a couple:
I'm also curious to know what the licensing details are - for example, can we use a temporary evaluation license for local development and then have a license for the deployed or production version?
Let me know!
UPDATE 2019-08-16:
tl;dr: We now have official Docker images for Jira! You can find them at https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian
One of the reasons I love working here is how willing our engineering teams are to take a side project from someone on our support team (like me!), build on it and collaborate on a comprehensive solution together. Any other workplace would've ignored my little project and started from scratch.
Since we decided to use dchevell/jira-* as a starting point we've been working hard to improve these images and add all the orchestration-from-the-environment features I could never find time for on my own. From this point on, look no further than our Atlassian Docker Hub account for our Jira images (as well as our official Confluence and Bitbucket images).
Hope you like them!
ORIGINAL ANSWER:
Hey folks,
Whilst there's no official Docker support for Jira, I maintain unofficial images for all Atlassian Server product that don't provide official images here: https://hub.docker.com/r/dchevell
These are developed and maintained using the same approach, tooling and automated release process as our official images. They're great tools for testing and evaluating our products!
There is a Docker image for JIRA with Dockerfile: https://hub.docker.com/r/ivantichy/jira/
You can use trial licence in container then throw it away and keep data.
+1 for the question. We're currently mulling whether to deploy JIRA via these community made containers or just stick to using a VM and deploy via installer.
My concern is that if went for the container route, we might not get the support we need afterwards if run into any issues.
I have deleted my obsolete answer...
I wouldn't hesitate to run in linux containers, but someone else has taken over and they will move the whole thing to windows server. Partly at fault is MySQL replication and Atlassian lack of support for MySQL. MSSQLServer is easy to achieve HA. From there it is not much of a leap to have the whole thing on windows native install.
Response from Atlassian support:Thank you for contacting Atlassian Support!There are no official plans to publish JIRA on Dockerhub.It seems it is possible to run JIRA on Docker with a lot of customisation but it isn't supported officially.This might change in the future but for the moment it is all done by the Atlassian Community and not Officially by Atlassian.I hope this answers your question.Kind regards,Jeffrey Sjauw MookAtlassian Support
Indeed, your message is a reply to the question even if the answer is not acceptable for customers.
Having "no official plans" to support your products on Docker is just ridiculous and very questionable... But I should recognize it's new Your company, as many others, are used to "enhance" the reality.
At least, saying that there's no plan definitely helps !
Thanks.
Sorry Andrew I just saw that you quoted somehow Jeffrey's answer: this reply was not for you directly, but for Jeffrey (who may not even read the message... )
I ask myself if the support engineers are in sync with each other!?
I talked to an Atlassian support engineer at an event about our plans to move to JIRA Datacenter. He suggested me to first dockerize our JIRA because this makes scaling Datacenter so much easier...
Fair enough that they don't ship it as a docker container, but why should they not support a JIRA running inside docker? There should be no difference for the application if it runs inside docker or not, it is "only" a JAVA web app.
Another unofficial container for JIRA Core available here: https://hub.docker.com/r/zcalusic/atlassian-jira-core/
It's based on the latest Oracle Server JRE. Been using it last several months with lots of success. Typically I upgrade soon after the new JIRA release.
Hi Dave,
I notice there's an 'official' image for BitBucket Server. We were thinking about moving to BitBucket Data Centre for high availability. Would it be possible to do this using a Docker image in Kubernetes?
Regards,
Simon
Don't forget about the licensing details.Even if running JIRA on Kubernetes is possible you are bound to a single instance. At least as long as Atlassian does not come up with a corresponding licensing model.
While having a single (heavy) VM or even bare metal box is sufficient for the most users there are situations where running multiple (leightweight) instances could boost performance.
I can't understand why they havn't dockerized Jira and Confluence, yet... Nowadays, if you didn't dockerized, even kubernetized your apps, you're from the very past.
Just updated to JIRA 7.12.3
https://github.com/ivantichy/jira-docker
https://hub.docker.com/r/ivantichy/jira/
JIRA Core 7.13.0 now available, based on AdoptOpenJDK HotSpot JRE, font issues resolved, added Apache Tomcat Native Library.
It has been working great!
I am relatively new to containers, I know these are not official but does anyone run jira in docker in production? Can it be used if you have a load balanced setup?
Whilst not official, dchevell/jira-software provides experimental Data Center support. Check out the Data Center configuration section of the readme for all of the available environment variables that can be used to configure clustering.
Atlassian have a Data Center license. So with that, you can scale horizontally in Kubernetes with ease. We do that with ASK for both Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket.Heres an old video, before we made Helm charts.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yUvCZXqPZI
Yes, we have companies running ASK (Atlassian Software in Kubernetes) in both server and data center mode in production.Heres an old video, before we made helm charts.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yUvCZXqPZI
Hi @dchevelYour container is very stable, we are using it for months.Would be great to have Docker as an official supported platform.I just voted for JRASERVER-63993.
Hi @Dave Chevell, thanks so much for your continued work on these images.
It's been a few years since I last deployed the Atlassian suite, but wasn't thinking about Docker support for Atlassian when I overhauled the small-footprint stack (only 1U) I have in the colo. I recently completed moving everything to Kubernetes. Suddenly, I realize I was almost stuck. Your images saved me, and having them come from someone on staff was a really important consideration for me.
I have been using the Atlassian suite since codehaus.org days, Mike and Scott would be on IRC with us. Things have come a very long way since then.
Hopefully you and your efforts lead to additional first-class support for Docker images, at least across the most critical apps that haven't been finished yet, like JIRA.
Docker Container for JIRA 8.0.0
https://hub.docker.com/r/musanmaz/jira
why Atlassian do not have yet Jira Official Container ???
It appears that Atlassian now officially supports Jira on Docker: https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/jira-softwarehttps://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/docker-atlassian-jira/src/master/
@Dave Chevell is it possible to submit PRs? It looks like it's currently missing the ability to add internal or trusted proxies via tomcat RemoteIpValve.
I saw these new images on docker hub as well. But couldn't find any documentation which says JIRA is officially supported on docker. Can someone from Atlassian confirm if these images can be used production?
We are definitely looking to containerize all our atlassian applications.
+1 I came across this thread looking for the same answer. The Confluence image states clearly it is the Atlassian Official server image, but this is not the case for the Jira image referenced by Tim Soslow.
Maybe @Dave Chevell can explain us if we could get support from Atlassian, if we run Jira on a AdoptOpenJDK 8 based image for example. And I mean support for the software and not the environment itself, as Docker is clearly out of scope for Atlassian.
@José Pablo Hernández
Turns out started supporting docker images starting from version 8.0.x
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/installing-jira-applications-938846823.html
Hi teams,
I'm the PM responsible for Docker - happy to let you know we're working on these images right now - firstly porting over @Dave Chevell's amazing original work and then making some changes and ensuring our support team are equipped to handle enquiries on them.
We're still working on the assumption that this is a "reference" implementation, but we'd love to hear feedback and get your thoughts on what is missing and we're also looking at our PR acceptance criteria.
Feel free to suggest changes, improvements or concerns and I'm happy to talk through any of our work.
You can grab offical Jira Docker images here: https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/jira-software
If you have any Jira related issues, you can raise a support request, if you have any issues configuring or deploying our docker images you can troubleshoot on our Bitbucket repo at https://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/docker-atlassian-jira/src/master/ and if you've got any Docker specific, architecture or support concerns please contact them.
I'm working on creating a support structure around Docker so in the meantime you can either raise a support request directly or direct your enquiry to me and the team. I'll let you know once I've setup the correct support channel for feature requests and bugs.
Thanks in advance,Steve.
I don't get it @Steve
Why not support the community instead?
We created ASK about 1.5 year ago supporting Server and Data Center of both Jira, Bitbucket and Confluence on both Docker hosts and Kubernetes.
Its open source. It has helm charts. Ready to go.
Hi @Henrik_Høegh, I'm not entirely sure which community ones you're referencing - however while we encourage led efforts with community based support we're constantly re-evaluating what our customers need from a support perspective and adjusting accordingly.
Our templates are open, easily adaptable and we're working on our support plans for them now. We'd welcome and encourage contributions and improvements and as always are happy to hear your feedback.
Talk soon,Steve.
In your documentation to be found here:
https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/jira-software/orhttps://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/docker-atlassian-jira/
There is written that the following JDBC driver classes are supportedcom.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDrivercom.mysql.jdbc.Driveroracle.jdbc.OracleDriverorg.postgresql.Driverbut the following ones are NOT included in the releasecom.mysql.jdbc.Driveroracle.jdbc.OracleDriver
Trying Insight it tells me that the two mentioned above cannot be found! The drivers are missing. only mssql and postgresql are supported by files.
Best regards
@Dave Chevell +1 for submitting PRs
The image doesn't seem to fully support TLS, Microsoft SQL Server, or running as a non-privileged user. I had to override dbconfig.xml.j2 and server.xml.j2 with support for additional parameters. I'd be happy to contribute that back in a PR if there was a way to do so.
You can fork our repos and open pull requests if you wish!
I've updated the images with support for running as a non-privileged user (certain files can therefore not be bootstrapped, as they are locked down with root only write privileges for security reasons, but you can mount your own copies into the image to overwrite them instead if you need) as well as fixed an issue where we were hardcoding a database schema name value which was breaking MSSQL. All published tags for all versions have been updated with these fixes so you can pull whatever you're using and you should be fine.
Does anyone here have an example Helm chart for - https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/jira-software ?
I found this on this community.
Ill try it out right now. https://github.com/codeclou/docker-atlassian-jira-data-center
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.