A bit of background:
I just started as a product manager at a tech company that designs HW and the SW that operates our devices.
Our devices are installed in the field, and communicate with the servers back at our HQ. So we have a HW/SW package installed in the field, and a "backend" SW package at my office.
I am new to JIRA, but I am trying to re-organize my project's JIRA ticketing system. However, I am trying to understand the hierarchy of JIRA’s categories. I have come up with the following scheme, assuming I work on a product called Widget2000:
Project (The device, Widget2000)
|
Program (Firmware builds for the Widget2000, E.G. Widget2000 2.4.3, which well be working on the next 6-8 months)
|
Epics (Major features of the 2.4.3 firmware build, E.G. ‘Detects all earthquakes,’ ‘Share data with other Widget2000’s in the field’)
|
Issue/Tasks (Steps taken to achieve each epic, E.G. ‘Modify earthquake module sensitivity,’ ‘Store earthquake data in new struct,’ ‘Routine for sending earthquake data to other Widget2000s,’ ‘routine for receiving earthquake data’)
|
Subtask (Steps to achieve specific issue/task)
Other than general feedback on this hierarchy, my greatest uncertainty is should firmware builds be at the Program or Epic level?
Thanks!