[Plugin developers vs Cyberpatrols: Chapter IV]Read this question:https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/20015/pdf-macro-and-sharpview-macroThe guy making the question perhaps would be interested in how to publish large PDF files on Conluence for free. There is a solution based on alternative software approach and providing a similar result.But giving such information, would be considered as an advertisement, as it happened in the past a lot of times.Who is the looser? A plugin developer who does not advertise a free alternative or the guy who needs a solution?Have a nice day!
Are you saying you were prevented from suggesting a plugin that was relevant to the discussion because it was viewed as an advertisement? Seems a bit strong-handed...
Or, that he wasn't allowed to suggest an alternative to a commercial product. (I can't figure out which.)
Hi Pablo,
I don't think anyone should refrain from suggesting a plugin in an answer. I think that's perfectly appropriate and I've done it myself - it's a genuine answer. That's different than generally advertising a plugin as a new question where there's no context and it's clearly an ad. Once we fix up ANSWERS-139 and have a proper, appropriate way (rather than a workaround) to advertise a plugin, we should hopefully have a nice balance.
Does that seem ok?
UPDATE:
We've now published a guide for marketing a plugin: https://developer.atlassian.com/display/MARKET/Plugin+Marketing
There's a bit of a grey area between "valid pointer to plugin that might help" and "advert", but there's been some postings that are clearly adverts and have nothing to do with helping the original question (or subsequent ones). Other referrals to the plugins that were advertised have been absolutely fine though.
That's flamebait. You shouldn't bother answering again to the same question.
Pablo -
Jerry making the question specifically calls out SharpView. There's no advert abt it - that was his question.
No one makes any customer buy a plugin - its the customers choice, always - so not sure why bringing awareness of solutions to common problems is wrong at all.
It informs, period. And I think the purpose of this forum is that.
Best,
Ellen
AppFusions
ellen@appfusions.com
Don't get upset. Pablo is a kind of Don Quixote - he always has a Quest !
Man, how I deserve to be down-voted (and blamed, cursed, etcaetera).
Ellen,I don't try to say that you advertise your plugin. Reading the original post, it's clear that the AppFusions guy is trying to answer/help, not advertising.Unfortunately, I chose that question in a sort of random example to go on a parallel theme. Thinking on war terms, I would say these are collateral effects.I also opened another question in order to don't disturb the original post and minimize the number of victims.
Hi everyone,
I'd like to take this thread as an opportunity to raise another point here: how can I have access to anyone interested in developing a custom plugin ?
Ah, well, that's different. We are missing a place to say "here's a new plugin", and then discuss support and features of those plugins.
But "answers" is definitely a place to ask for help. If you want someone to (help) write a plugin for you, then there's a few things I'd do
Nic sums it up well.
Experts is new branding for partner. They're the same thing.
Ah, I thought it might be, but I haven't had time to read much recently, so I didn't want to say that without knowing!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.