The documentation for tables shows that I "can" merge table cells, but I can't find any description of how to actually do it. There was a related question 3 years ago (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/129945), but I still can't make sense of what they're saying and what is happening on my screen.
Note that I'm using Confluence 5.9.3.
Update:
As I don't have 3 karma points yet, I can't reply to answers to my own question, and I apparently can't even post new questions (get "Not Permitted"), I guess my only avenue is to edit my original posting with my additional questions.
------------------------
I also hope it works, but that doesn't appear to help any.
I shift-clicked the cells I want to merge. I clicked on "Merge Table Cells". That didn't appear to do anything. The cells are still separate cells.
Update:
> No clue what "shift-click" means. You highlight the cells, then click the merge button. I think what you want is > three columns where you can control the width of each column??????? That is coming in Confluence 6.0
Shift-click is what is required on my platform to highlight a cell. I've highlighted the cells and clicked the merge button. Nothing meaningful happens. I'm not trying to control the column width. I'm just trying to merge table cells.
Update:
(It's really annoying that I still can't comment on answers to my own question.)
I've determined that merging cells works if you select adjacent cells in the same row, but not in the same column. I filed this ticket for this.
Update:
I don't quite understand, but I'm finding this is working now. It's very important that you select the cells in a particular way, and it's not obvious at all what that is. It does no good to do shift-click or ctrl-click on the cells to merge, even though that appears to highlight the cells. You need to "click-drag" from one cell to the other. The funny thing is, I had been doing this last week, and I couldn't get it to work. This morning, somehow, after click-dragging from one adjacent cell to the other cell in the same column and clicking "Merge table cells", it worked.