I followed the instructions here for creating an EBS Snapshot that attaches to a Default Bamboo Linux AMI and installs all the extra libraries I need at boot-up. It works great. I am trying to accomplish something similar for the Default Windows AMI, but I can't quite figure out how to get it done.
I remoted on to the running instance and found a similar set of scripts at:
C:\opt\bamboo-elastic-agent\bin
Attempting to run them in Cygwin (or Git Bash) was a failure, so I'm assuming they are not meant to be run in a similar fashion.
So I guess my question is: How do install extra libraries and software during the Windows Elastic Image startup without having to create (and maintain) my own custom AMI for windows?
Update:
So Bamboo 5.0 is on OnDemand now. I started a new Default Windows Image and attempted similiar steps to the ones mentioned above, but it still seems that those scripts are not working yet again.
Perhaps I read a little too much into the "EBS Volumes will be supported in Bamboo 5.0" comments everywhere and assumed that meant an equivalent scripting process to the one on Linux AMIs, but so far I don't really see a difference in the way Windows Elastic Instances are handled in this new version.
If it is indeed possible to create and mount an EBS Snapshot to my Windows AMI and have it kick of a script that could install a few things and do some slight configuration, I would love to see some documentation on how to do so.
If not, I would accept an answer that allows me to accomplish the goal of installing extra software on a windows instance without having to create a new AMI every time I want to make a change.