Currently my rank field is populated with odd combinations of alpha and numeric characters. For example, the top five items in a backlog (in descending order) are:
Hi Mandy!
The newer version of JIRA Agile does not rank issues using a number, but a lexical value, using the lexorank algorithm. So, if you are facing this issue after upgrade JIRA Agile, I do not think you will be able to use numerical values again to rank your issues.
The Lexorank algorithm has a lot of advantages when compared with the numerical rank, as being more reliable and work in data-center enviroment.
Cheers!Teilor
Could you please explain why Lexorank is better? I've never found 1, 2, 3 to be unreliable or fail to work.
My team is doing software development, and our backlog would normally be 1, 2, 3,... We don't need other functionality, and would like to be able to tell what a column of numbers means. This just looks like gibberish:
0|i0005g:
0|i0005i:
0|i0005l:
When I searched for information on LexoRank, I didn't find an explanation, but I did find a bug: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-11358
I'd have to agree with Janet. When looking at an issue in any detail screen, you have no way of knowing where the issue falls in priority on the backlog. I don't want to have to keep switching back to the backlog view to know where the item has been ranked. I'm sure the algorithm is fine, but I need an equivalent numeric value for when items are in detail screens to provide context that is human understandable. Thank you.
Well, the major improvement in JIRA Agile which came with the lexorank is the possibility to work in a clustered and database agnostic environment. You can found further information about this in https://extranet.atlassian.com/display/GHDEV/LexoRank+%3A+A+Cluster-Safe+Ranking+System You may also be interested in the discussion in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-10748
Teilor, your comments above have links that give me a 404:
https://extranet.atlassian.com/display/GHDEV/LexoRank+%3A+A+Cluster-Safe+Ranking+System
Do I need another login?
This ticket does appear to be a duplicate of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-10748
Sorry Janet, I didn't notice the access to that document was restricted; you will not be able to view it. If the change from the numerical rank to lexorank cause a negative impact in your JIRA instance I would recommend to you to create a Suggestion to our developers in https://jira.atlassian.com, with details about your user case. We also have a Support channel in support.atlassian.com
I also have to agree with Janet and Mandy - the very simple real world use of a numeric 1-2-3-4 would GREATLY help me in communicating the backlog to people. Please update me when you add back the feature to have a common language rank. It is the number 0|r90tqx: feature for you guys to add.
Not to pile on but my company is having a very similar issue and i believe Janet is exactly correct. I am well aware of the advantages of the Lexorank algorithm but most of those are behind the scenes; there must be a front facing value that makes sense to humans. There are a number of reasons why users would need to see the rank value outside of the Agile Board Planning view. They are displaying in the correct order, it cannot be that difficult to assign an ascending value starting at the first entry. Please help!
Hello People in Atlassian
Where are we at with this Issue?
Cheers
There is no issue.
Lexorank is better than numbers for ranking, both for coding in Cloud and Server, and it's pretty much mandatory for data-centre. There's a good reason the original number system was dumped in favour of it, and numbers will never be re-implemented (they weren't great before as they couldn't be 1, 2, 3 in any system that needs to perform)
Hello Nic
...and thank u for ur comment.
Plz give me 1(one) reason why for humans, a visible field with this content 0|i0005g: should be better than a number. Fair enough, if used in the background for coding in Cloud and Server...
...but users..? ;-)
Are u with Atlassian? Are u in the Team responsible for this change?
Many Thx
No, you're right in that it's useless for us.
There's a small oversight on the part of Atlassian here (I'm not an Atlassian) - they actually allow you to see the rank on screen. Sometimes, an admin might find it useful for debugging, but if was an Atlassian UI person, I'd have hidden it as much as possible because its of no use to humans. Ideally, it should be replaced with a display of previous and next issue in the list.
good one!
Made me chuckle.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.