I have new people coming in to the company and I am trying to assign them tasks but I don't know how to add their name to the pool of resources.
Please advise.
Tasks can only be assigned to a user defined in JIRA. You may create a user in JIRA with a mail address which is not part of your mail domain, but a user has to be defined in JIRA.
I don't know which JIRA version you're currently using, but you should have administration rights, then go to user management section, then create the user. Don't forget that the newly created user must be part of jira-developers group to be able to be assigned with a task. You can change groups for an existing user in user management section too.
I tried it. It tells me the user is not recognized. It only recognized the names already in the system. I need to add new names that I can assign tasks to them. It does not allow me.
Only administrators can add users to the system. If your company has a naming standard you could have the administrator add their userid and email to the system as soon as they are scheduled to come in. Short of that, you're out of luck. Only valid JIRA users can have issues assigned to them.
Yep, this is why I said you need to have administration rights, then create a user (with any mail address), then insure that the user is part of jira-developer group to ba able to be assigned with a task.
I can't see user management section on my screen. Where is it and how I can find it?
You could create a Label with the new user's name. Then you could use JQL to search for issues marked with that user's Label.
Which JIRA version are you using? Usually you can access user management from top right corner (administration icon).
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.