Good Day All,
I have successfull enabled SSL on my lab confluence instance and will like to implement it in a few weeks on two production instances. By default when you generate the self signed certificate its a few months; therefore, I will like to know how can I create a certificate for a year or two.
I would also like to know if the same document "https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/running-confluence-over-ssl-or-https-161203.html" can be used when the certificate has expired to renew it?
Hi Earl,
When pushing this out to your production instance, you'll want to get a certificate from a trusted Certificate Authority such as Verisign, GeoTrust, Comodo, etc. These providers charge a fee for their service. When you purchase a certificate through a Certificate Authority, you can choose what length of time the certificate should be valid for.
As a rule of thumb, it's easier to manage SSL certificates through a reverse proxy such as nginx or Apache than directly through Tomcat (the application server for JIRA and Confluence). You'll also get some side benefits by using a reverse proxy such as better connection handling, gzip compression, and the ability to make use of http/2.
Check out this Atlassian article on setting up nginx with HTTPS in front of Confluence: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeap/running-confluence-behind-nginx-with-ssl-849150880.html
I've also written some more detailed instructions on getting nginx set up if you're using CentOS/Ubuntu: https://danieleads.com/turbo-charging-your-confluence-with-nginx/ - small caveat that my article doesn't contain the extra lines in your configuration that you need to get collaborative editing working in Confluence 6.0 - but this only affects Confluence 6.0 and not any versions before/after 6.0.
Hi Daniel,
Thanks a lot for your response, it's highly appreciated, I was under the impression that Atlassian does not support any other web server apart from Tomcat.
I will give Nginx a try in the lab instance and see how it goes.
Thanks again.
Hey Daniel that's a great nginx tutorial! I'll have to try that myself. The chart with the load times, wow. I'll have to benchmark my current apache vs nginx.
As of Confluence 6.1 yo don't need any config changes on the reverse proxy to get collaborative editing working over SSL.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.