I am new to Jira to bear with me on this. I am trying to figure out the best way to organize the projects for our development team in Jira. At any given time we have about 50+ active projects going cycling between about 8 developers. New requirements are added daily, with a turnaround time of anywhere from a day to a week. Initially when I looked at Jira I was thinking that I would create a separate project for each, and then group the projects into 6 Project Categories. (Intranet sites, Client Programs, Console Apps, etc…)
I recently ran across a video about “Jira labels” and I am thinking that there might be a better way. Instead of having 50 separate projects in 6 different project categories, I could just create 6 projects. (one for each category). And use the labels to distinguish between the actual projects. That seems like it will work and have the advantage of being able to cross associate an issue to multiple projects if it touches more than 1. (which does happen)
So along those lines I was looking for some advice around Jira labels and their usage.
1. Can I set up Jira to require a value in the label field?
2. Can I predefine the possible labels values that my developers would have to choose from?
3. Can I report and search based on those labels?
4. I read somewhere that said I can create custom fields of type “label”. Is there a benefit to that over using the build in one?
Also, if you have a better solution for what I am trying to accomplish or any general advice about labels, I am all ears..
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.