Many Atlassian documents state that creating custom fields greatly effects system performance so creating a large number of custom fields (several hundreds of fields maybe close to a thousand) is not recommended. The documentation also states that not every field effects the system equally. For example selectlist fields are the least expensive and multiline text fields are the most expensive, since they hold much more information to index.
This makes me wonder, what happens if I set the "Search Template" of a custom field to None? I know this will remove the field from serach indexes and will make search for that field impossible. But some, if not most, of the fields on my customers' systems are for form information only. They do no use that information for searching or reporting.
How much performance benefit would I get by setting Search Template on these fields to None? Will removing the search template of many such fields improve performance greatly or will it be close to nothing?