Let me start by saying that I'm really enjoying how robust JIRA is. While the interface isn't nearly as user friendly as other project management platforms, the robust capabilities so far have made up for this.
My current issue is two-fold. The first is a more specific problem and the second is more of a _consultation_ request:
# *GLOBAL PERMISSIONS*: I'm the administrator of JIRA for our company, but not the person who setup the account. That person is username *Mike* in our system. It does not appear that I currently possess the *JIRA System Administrators* global permission, and we can't seem to get this added to my account, and neither can Mike. I would assume that someone at our organization would have to have that access level, but I would have just assumed it would be the user who purchased the product. I've read through all the documentation online and still can't get to it. So can you please help me setup myself with the JIRA System Administrator access?
# *NOTIFICATIONS*: Users are currently getting too many notifications. I've made some adjustments to the default notification scheme, but I think it's still a little too much. Overall we'll probably try to move to more of a _pull_ than a _push_ flow of communication, but I still would REALLY appreciate your advice on what are some best practices or common modifications to the Default Notification Scheme. And just to give you a frame of reference, in my last PM role I deployed Basecamp, and one of the things I really liked was how it batched updates/changes in terms of notifications, so if multiple comments/updates/changes were made to an issue, users would only receive one email every 15 minutes, summarizing all the comments and changes to the email. I've searched both in the JIRA Admin console for a way to batch outgoing mail notifications like 37Signals does, but can't seem to find it. If that option exists, perhaps you should show me where, or explain why I don't really need it.
Thank you!
Todd