I want to create a new board and move issues from an existing board
You don't.
Boards are views of lists of issues, they don't hold any issues really. To "move" an issue, you change the boards. You should create your new board, and make sure it includes the issues you want to "move". Then go to the existing board, and change the filter so it no longer includes the issues.
I believe the question is how do you ensure the issues you created on a wrong board appears on your new board without manual rewrite of same issue? or how do you export issues from a wrong board to the right board without duplication of writing task?
It's the same answer. Issues are not "moving", you need to look at the rules that cause issues to be included in a board.
@Timothy Woodand@essentia.essien I'm have the same question, but in an effort to understand my own plight, let me restate @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-'s reply:
Boards are basically filters that exist within a project. So the short answer (I believe) is that issues can only be "moved" from one project to another. Even when you select an issue to Move, and you have the option to move it from one project to the same project, note that you are not given the boards within that project as destinations for the move. Again, because the Move function only takes place at the project level. If you want an issue to not appear on one board (say, within Project A) and you want it to appear on a different board (again, within Project A), then you need to change the filter queries that govern those two boards. One filter (i.e. board) will effectively exclude the issue in question, and the other filter (i.e. board) will include, or look for, that issue to present visually. Giving the appearance that the issue has moved. But, you will notice that even after changing boards within a project, the issue still exists in the SINGLE backlog that the project has...so, again, it didn't really "move".
Hopefully that helps clarify. Now, I need to figure out filters. :-0
Is this the answer to the question?
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/moving-an-issue-902499026.html
If not, then what is the difference for the "filtering" process above mentioned? @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
@Alejandro Barragan...the link you provided is for moving issues between different Jira projects (i.e. Board 1 in Project A to Board 2 in Project B...where both projects are within your Jira instance but have independent backlogs). I believe the original question posed by @Timothy Wood is about "moving" an issue from one board to another board WITHIN the same project (i.e. Board 1 to Board 2 within Project A...where there is only one project backlog that both boards pull from).
Personally, that takes me back to properly designing filters to view your work - which can be quite an art form.
Pretty much what @Jeffrey Rucker said - you need to look at the board filters to determine what appears (or disappears from, when the issue is changed) on each board.
Since none of these answers were terribly useful for me since I'm not a project manager who may regularly create boards to help visualize the current work (I grab existing tickets, make new ones, and that's about it) maybe this will help someone. It doesn't matter what board you create your ticket on. The boards just show tickets based on a filter/query. The ticket just has to match all the parameters that board is filtering on. What/where is this board filter? There's currently a "Board" drop down in the top right of the page where you can select a "Configure" option that will show you the current "Filter Query" for that board. Update your ticket to match that filter, and you should be good to go.
The problem for me turns out to be incorrect use of Jira by my company(?). What they have done is set up one Jira Project called 'System x Replacement' for a programme(!) and then created a board for each project eg. 'Document Transformation Software' (DTS) and 'SFTP Cutover'. It's messed up before I even get to it. So I'm on the DTS project and I create a ticket but when I click on the 'View on Board' link, it appears in SFTP board; I go to the DTS board, but can't see it.
As a ticket owner, I want to make the ticket disappear from the SFTP board and appear on the DTS board, so I don't annoy the SFTP team, and so I can see my work.
If I try to move the ticket, I see it's already on the correct Jira project and validation prevents me from going further. I think there's a UX issue (as well as our Jira being set up by someone who doesn't make a distinction between a programme and a project). There's no point in asking for the Admin to re-organise Jira for me. I can edit filters for boards, but I can't see how to edit the filters to achieve what I want.
Under the task's headline there are 3 sections "general", "agile", "people". Select "people" and choose in "team" section where you want to move your issue.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.