For context, I work for an architectural visualisation studio. Myself and a number of 3D artists/motion graphics people and another coder work to produce videos and apps. The apps tend to involve fairly hefty 3D models/textures, and this has fairly frequently led to repositories becoming unnecessarily bloated.
Recently, we've had one go to 1.9 Gb, which is Too Close. Having done a variety of cleanup/size-reduction operations locally,
git count-objects -vH
tells me that my local repository is 1.44 Gb.
However, even when I force push to the Bitbucket remote, the settings page there tells me the Bitbucket repo is still 1.9 Gb. Am I missing something here? The local repo has the complete history in 1.44Gb, and I'd been under the impression that the --force flag for push would cause the remote's history to match the local. Although I've used git for years for personal projects, I've not frequently had cause to use remotes for those, so this is a bit beyond my experience. Is there something else I should be doing to make the remote carry out the cleanup/size-reduction measures?
(For the record: I'm aware that even 1.4 is too damn big for a sensible code repository. Being able to diff ASCII encoded FBX files is useful however, and I'm in the process of establishing a workflow to split the textures out rather than having to keep them in the repo.)