Are there specific memory settings that need to be set when installing JIRA?
Further to Nic's suggestion that it is useful to monitor memory over a period (rather than just looking at an instant), I have found the free JavaMelody plugin to be very useful.
It is a bit of a fiddle to install but worth the effort. I have got all my servers emailing me nightly and weekly PDF reports. This allows me to look back at detailed monitoring data for any period in the past... helping me to spot some long term trends.
Probably. Depends on what you are doing. Can't really tell you a lot more without knowing what Jira you want to use, how you want to use it, size, plugins, users, etc etc etc
Have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Requirements
I admit I was tempted for a second to answer "No".
Nic,
Which logs should we be looking in?
What should we be looking for as our JIRA is crashing every 3 hours.
@Radu- it's "no" if you've got Jira standalone and a small number of users with a small amount of data. But we didn't know that, so I thought I'd say so :-)
@Kristen- the application logs. Where they are depends on your setup, but the simple way to start is to look at "Admin -> System information" because it will tell you the exact location of the log file. That assumes Jira is running long enough for you to get there, but I'm not going to type the "how do I find my logs when it isn't usable" unless I really have to.
How do we increase the JAVA memory allocation?
@nicThis is a screen shot from our instance.
Ok, that's the right screen. Memory looks a little low, but not scary at this point. Problem with a snapshot is what you really need to do is monitor it and watch it fluctuate - the variations are a lot more useful than a quick look.
You are on the right screen though - look for the log file location on there - I think you really need to be reading the log to work out what it is doing.
Is the an actual crash log? Is the log we are suppose to be looking for atlassian-jira.log? What would cause JIRA to hang?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.