Hello everyone,
I've inherited a wiki that has 1000s of pages of content of all types. At the moment I have to take a couple of the spaces that are two or more years old and reorganise the content in the following ways:
- remove/archive the old info
- update the page designs to get them standardised
- introduce a standard design throughout the spaces (using templates where necessary)
- do whatever I can to help improve the search results.
The problem I'm having is that there are 1000s of pages to go through, which is obviously very time consuming and in reality not very likely to happen. Some of the content is highly organised, some has just been thrown together. It's all a bit mix n match as far as page design and layout is concerned.
My approach at the moment is to look at the various areas that make up the spaces, get a feel for what the dozens of contributors have done and see how I can improve things by making a variety of changes. My next step will be to recommend various changes that pages owners (is there really such a thing after two or more people have edited a page?) have to make. After that, it's pretty much up to them to make the changes, or do it all myself.
Has anyone else done this before, and if so how did you go about it? At the moment, I'm looking at climbing a mountain as I can't see too many people having the time to make the changes I think are necessary.
Thanks in advance.