OK....
I know little about LDAP but I am being asked questions about using it for our JIRA installation. I have read various documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+an+Internal+Directory+with+LDAP+Authentication) and there seem to be multiple ways of implementing it. so to my questions...
1. It appears it can be used just for authentication or can be used to control group membership - is that correct?
2. If we implemenet only LDAP Authentication my assumption is that all the existing user accounts have to be linked to the LDAP account in someway to get the groups etc. But I havent seen anything about this or how to do it. Is my thinking wrong?
3. I am in a global organisation with a very large number of users is it possible to only let certain users access JIRA? i.e. we dont want to blow the licence limit because curious employees have been trying to login.
4. Obviously I do not want to bring the whole system down, so what would be the best way to trail and roll such a change out?
5. Do we loose anything by switching to LDAP?
Many thanks for four help
Nick