Is there a REST endpoint available for importing JSON formatted issues into JIRA in bulk?
We've got a handful of issues (~800) that we want to bring in from an old version of JIRA and JSON Export -> JSON Import seems to be the easiest way to accomplish this. We've been able to export the data out of the old instance OK, but I'd prefer not to have to import them one-by-one into the new instance using the External System Import->JSON functionality provided by the JIM plugin. I found this link that seems to suggest it's possible, but I don't see any importer endpoints on the REST API browser:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+JSON#ImportingDatafromJSON-RunningtheJSONFileImportWizard
If anyone has any ideas, they'd be much appreciated.
thanks,
Hello Bryan,
I do believe that you have exported issue to JSON from JIRA via "Export" button and not used REST API to GET issues from it. I'm making this assumptions because JSON format of JIRA API and "Export" button is completely different.
There is a way to use REST to import JSON "Export" formatted issues. As I suggested in this comment, you are able to use it to import your JSON files one by one. If you have any problems with this process please let me know here and/or create issue in JIM project https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM.
Przemyslaw---thank you for your reply. We didn't exactly use the export button for these issues, we used curl like this: curl -o $ticket.json -k -D- -u bryan.bush:l@password -X GET -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://our-old-jira.com/si/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-plugin:issue-json/${ticket}/${ticket}.json I did see your previous comment (which is why I referenced it in the original question) but I do not see those endpoints (POST: jira-importers-plugin/1.0/importer/json) in the REST API browser (and there's no longer a button to toggle private APIs if it is hidden). I'd like to be able to use a similar curl to insert these old issues in if possible. What would be the full URL to use here? Thanks again for your assistance!
Your way of exporting issues is also fine (it uses the Jira importers plugin) The JSON endpoints shouldn't be private - I'll need to look into that. We are fully supporting the JSON export-import endpoints, so you should be able to use them without any probelms. The full URL looks like this: If JIRA base URL is: http://example:8090/jira Then endpoint URL for importing is: http://example:8090/jira/rest/jira-importers-plugin/1.0/importer/json In response you will get an JSON object which contains full URLS with status and logs of your import. Please mind that only administrators can use this endpoints.
could you post an example or the POST request w/ sample data? For some reason I can't seem to get it to work.
Przemyslaw: can you please explain me which json format you use to import the data
i want to know wheather it was this format: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display
/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+JSON
and it will be so helpful if you explain how
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.