I have daily and weekly repetitive tasks in my projects, how do you programm this tasks without creating new issues every monday for example?
Thanks a lot
Maybe you can clone the issue befor you close the old task. It involves manual tasks unless you do coding.
If you are doing coding, you can create a new issue type and have a workflow post function for that issue types which creates a copy of the task when the original task is resolved.
I ran across this answer about a commercial plugin that might work for you as well.
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/66153/has-somebody-used-the-the-scheduler-plugging-for-recurring-tasks
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/pl.com.tt.jira.plugin.theschedulerpro/version/18
I posted a description of an implementation of periodic tasks at:
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/69329/periodic-tasks-in-jira?page=1#69368
This is not exactly what you are asking for but it is related and it has been helpful in our organization.
See this:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.codedoers.jira.repeating-issues
On JIRA Cloud you can use https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.gebsun.atlassian.rtasks
Cheers, Gebsun
I'm actually thinking I'm going to use a cron job on my server, to execute a JIRA API task creation. For me that's better than the plugin. Figured I'd mention it.
The Scheduler Pro is nice, but a little glitchy, and a little expensive.
I question the value of putting recurring tasks in a scrum/kanban board/project. I'd first try to track an issue like that elsewhere. Certainly, some tasks that recur repeatedly in scrum shouldn't be tracked with a task/story in jira. For example, if your team requires code review for every story, do we really need to put in a code review task (or two, one for each of two reviewers) into the story? Or, is that part of the definition of done for the story? Let's say you have a task that has to be done for every release... can that go on the definition of done for the release? Can it be put on a release checklist? If you have a DoD for sprint, can it go there? All scrum ceremonies recur, and hey do not needs stories. There are a lot of recurring tasks in projects and in my book it needs to be something *really* special to track on a kanban/scrum board.
Keep in mind that non-programmers also use Jira. Many compliance processes require periodic tasks (check your logs for personal info, the annual dry-run of an event response, verify accounts, and so on). Jira is great for this, since we can later prove to the auditor that we really did do everything we said we did.
exactly. I'm looking at a way to create automated task just for what Andy mentioned above. compliance and proof of a repeated task to be completed that would traditionally be tracked with the updating of a spreadsheet or otherwise. Jira instead creates an audit trail of who worked on the task and if there where any issues or changes from the norm.
This is just a repeat of my prior answer, but, it has been seven years, and people might be interested to know that we are still finding this approach useful.
In 2012 I posted a description of an implementation of periodic tasks in a detailed response to a question at:
The approach described uses native Jira features. It takes an hour or so to complete configuration steps, but, then it should work with little maintenance for years.
Hi Larry,
I am curious about this - I read your write up, very thorough, thanks!
I work on a teamthat has both the need to track periodic tasks, on going tasks and set tasks that have start & end dates. I'm going to use your approach as a test and see if I can get something in place to manage most of what we need.
-W
Feel free to ask question. We are still using the mechanism and in fact I just setup another project to use some of these mechanisms over the last couple of days.
As you can probably tell, we use Jira for more than just software development.
We do frequently look at our "off label" uses and wonder if it would be cost effective to use another solution for some of the more esoteric use cases, but, so far we haven't jumped ship. For example, the project setup that I've been working on for a few days is to track some business processes that must be run annually and that require quite a bit of coordination among parts of the organization that don't normally have to coordinate. In these cases we find Jira useful because the explicit assignment, due date tracking and notification features ensure that these required things get done and that interested parties can monitor progress. I'm sure there are more fully featured business process automation solutions that would be a better fit, but, we already have Jira in place and we can make it work for a lot of use cases.
An hour to set up a repeating task!
Every calendar and to do app has the ability to setup repeating tasks seems like really basic functionality for a task / project managing platform.
I can do it in minutes with anything else.
you can create a csv file to create set of taks for the project and upload it to jira
A simple free solution is to create a CRON GitHub action which creates a JIRA issue. Refer to the following:
https://github.com/marketplace/actions/jira-create-issue
https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/reference/workflow-syntax-for-github-actions#onschedule
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.