Hi,
I'm new to JIRA and unfortunately I'm a bit confused :-( It would really appreciate if somebody could clarify the concepts used in JIRA. I read several tutorials, but they are all centered around software projects. In my particular case, I want to use JIRA for other purposes.
As a first step, I want my organisation to use JIRA for account management:
a) Employees join the organisation. --> add groupware account, add to user groups, install pc.
b) They may be inactive (e.g. sabbatical) --> change permissions.
c) They may marry (and change their last names) --> change e-mail, user id
d) They may move within the organisation --> change permissions
e) They may leave the organisation --> remove groupware account, etc.
In each step, different persons are responsible for these tasks, e.g.:
1) Help Desk leader creates the task
2) Someone from the groupware team adds the account.
3) ...when finished, the issue should be automatically delegated to the permission manager in order to create permissions, etc.
4) when everything is done, the issue goes back to the help desk leader and he will close it.
First question: Should I use a project "Account Management" for this purpose? Or would this be a bad idea? What would you do?
Second question: What are a) - e)? Issue types? Workflows? Workflow schemes? None of them?
Third question: What are 1) - 4) in JIRA terminology? Steps within a workflow?
I think that JIRA may help our company a lot. However, it seems to be crucial to fully understand the basic concepts and how they play together. Unfortunately, this is all a bit confusing at first (especially, if you use it in a language that differs from the one used in all tutorials...).
Any help is greatly appreciated!