We're on 5.1, so I'm using the validators in transitions to make fields required as a ticket moves from step to step. However, Create isn't really a transition. How can I make a field required at the time of the initial save?
Just make it required in the field configuration for the issue type/project
you have to configure field require validator on create step.
got to workflow, click on new/Open step there you can see Create transition, click on it and configure validator there
But I don't WANT to create a new step. Create Issue is a default Jira action. I don't want to mess with that, just want a way to make one of the fields required before being able to save a new issue.
How? As I said, we're on 5.1. Custom fields use the Jira Suite Utilities plugin to set up requirements on transitions. There is no "required" option on the actual fields in 5.1.
No, you don't need the JSU to do this. Jira has, as Joe says, mandatory field options built into it.
Go into the field configuration scheme for the project, find the one you are using for the current issue type and you'll find there's a list of all the fields. There ARE mandatory/optional flags against almost all of the fields (certainly all the custom fields)
I apparently can't respond to a comment, only an answer. But thanks, Nic, for the specific directions. I'm new to Jira, and pretty sure our documentation said the only way to handle required fields in our version was with the plugin. I wouldn't have known where to look.
If someone in 2016 wants this feature there is the new plugin Workflow Essentials for JIRA. Its not free but will solve this problem very well.
In general: Edit the Workflow and in the Workflow Diagram click on the "Create" Transition and add the Mandatory Field Validator.
That should totally be included in Jira.
Atlassian for the most part, try not to duplicate the work their partners and vendors do.
This is absurd. Requiring a field to have a value is not only a core expectation it is documented to exist as a feature - but it doesn't work as advertised.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.