I'm just getting started with JIRA and trying to figure out what is the scope an issue within a JIRA project. So far what I have seen in 101 reading and playing with it is that the scope of the issues are only for that project and each project has their own issue workflows, components, versions, etc to define those issues.
Usecase: If I have product A, and that product will have a set of versions, components, etc. and requirement is track issues accross the lifetime of the product, thru various versions/releases, etc. Each version/release is managed and sort of like it own project and in each one new components added or the assignees can be changed.
This looks like it will work if we have a single project in JIRA for product A. The question is can and how could we setup if we wanted to have this broken into multiple JIRA projects (one per release/version)? Some way of linking issues accross JIRA projects?
Hope question is clear and usecase makes sense.