Hi,
New to Jira and am setting up a custom workflow for our software development cycle (non-agile). Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
The basic workflow steps might be something like this:
[Creating requirement]
[Creating Design Spec]
[Developing Code]
[Reviewing Code]
[QA'ing Code]
[Done]
In addition, since the process won't move directly from one step to the next (for example, after the design spec, there probably would be some period of time before coding started), I was hope to have some sort of a [Waiting] step. Rather than having several different distinct wait steps (e.g. waiting-to-start-coding, waiting-for-code-review-to-start, etc), I was hoping that I could have one generic wait state, just as the sample Jira basic workflow has [todo] step which multiple other steps can feed back into.
However, I want to be able to control for a given task, that when it transitions from the [Waiting] state, it can only go to the appropriate next step (for example, after completion of design spec, the only transition out would be to Developing-Code -- one could not transition to Reviewing-Code, etc). I can see how to create the unique and appropriate transitions to go to each of the next steps from the Wait step, but I don't see how I can control that only the appropriate transition is presented to the user to select.
Any suggestions most appreciated. The simple alternative is to create multiple distinct wait steps between each, but this seemed like it would unnecessarily clutter up the workflow.
Thanks much!