A user has brought to my attention that the autofill for the watchers list is not working. It does not display options when he starts typing, he has to result to finding out what the JIRA user name is for someone and then typing it in which is very inconvenient.
His account and the project permissions are set up to allow him to manage the watchers and once he has figured out the user name, he is able to type it in and add it to the watchers. The autofill DOES work for me (although I'm a jira-administrator and he and other folks experiencing this are not). I have been able to replicate this when logging in as his JIRA user.
Autofill DOES work for assigning issues so I don't understand why it doesn't work for watchers. The jira.ajax.autocomplete.userpicker.limit=5000 is sufficient, so it isn't that. We do not use external user management such as LDAP or Crowd.