On certain workflow transitions, my users receive the following email notification containing an exception. This happens because I am purposefully nulling/clearing the "Release Version" from the issue on this transition. JIRA attempts to do a diff for display in the email and throws this exception. I have a ticket open with Atlassian but they are not aware of any workaround. This is after about a month of back and forth. I asked if it was possible to workaround this in the velocity template. They said yes, but that I should post here (Answers) for help. Any help would be appreciated.
An error occurred whilst rendering this message. Please contact the administrators, and inform them of this bug. Details: ------- org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'diff' in class com.atlassian.jira.mail.DiffUtils threw exception class com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions$NullArgumentException : copy should not be null! at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:251) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:175) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.render(ASTReference.java:220) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTBlock.render(ASTBlock.java:55) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTIfStatement.render(ASTIfStatement.java:70) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTBlock.render(ASTBlock.java:55) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.Foreach.render(Foreach.java:166) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTDirective.render(ASTDirective.java:114) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTBlock.render(ASTBlock.java:55) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTIfStatement.render(ASTIfStatement.java:70) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.render(SimpleNode.java:230) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.Parse.render(Parse.java:181) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTDirective.render(ASTDirective.java:114) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTBlock.render(ASTBlock.java:55) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTIfStatement.render(ASTIfStatement.java:70) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.render(SimpleNode.java:230) at org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.evaluate(VelocityEngine.java:300) at org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.evaluate(VelocityEngine.java:202) at com.atlassian.velocity.DefaultVelocityManager.getEncodedBodyForContent(DefaultVelocityManager.java:143) at com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$1.processRecipient(MailingListCompiler.java:296) at com.atlassian.jira.mail.NotificationRecipientProcessor.process(NotificationRecipientProcessor.java:39) at com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler.addMailsToQueue(MailingListCompiler.java:318) at com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler.access$400(MailingListCompiler.java:42) at com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$NotificationCompiler.addEmailsToQueue(MailingListCompiler.java:463) at com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$NotificationCompiler.sendLists(MailingListCompiler.java:433) at com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$NotificationCompiler.sendNoLevelsIgnoreGroup(MailingListCompiler.java:413) at com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$NotificationCompiler.sendToAll(MailingListCompiler.java:408) at com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler.sendLists(MailingListCompiler.java:140) at com.atlassian.jira.mail.IssueMailQueueItem.send(IssueMailQueueItem.java:152) at com.atlassian.mail.queue.MailQueueImpl.sendBuffer(MailQueueImpl.java:66) at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailQueueService.run(MailQueueService.java:23) at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:60) at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:47) at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195) at com.atlassian.multitenant.quartz.MultiTenantThreadPool$MultiTenantRunnable.run(MultiTenantThreadPool.java:72) at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)