We are in a pilot to make a purchasing decision for JIRA and JIRA Portfolio. We currently maintain a Competency Matrix Excel spreadsheet of 116 IT skills we use to work on the projects we complete. We list each IT person and check off all of the Skills they are able to perform. When I read that JIRA Portfolio was able to find project bottlenecks, in party by using Skills, I envisioned I was going to be able to input our Competency Matrix data once and be done with telling Portfolio what each person's Skills are. I envisioned when I entered a needed Skill for a project, that I would see people who have that Skill to select from and assign to the project/stage. When I started setting up my first project I found this isn't so. I need to tell Portfolio what each person's Skills are every time I put them on a project. I will need to look up this info in the spreadsheet for every task in every project?
Am I seeing this correctly or am I missing something? If this functionality doesn't exist, is it on Atlassian's road map or are there no plans to go in that direction? Are there best practices for a work around?
My opinion is becoming that JIRA Portfolio can't be used by waterfall IT projects well.
Thank you,
Val