We have a process where users test against a subtask but the parent issue is used to generate some documentation.
We want to prevent users from Passing each subtask unless there is some text in a custom field on the parent issue. There can be more than one subtask in this process but only one subtask needs to provide the text to the parent issue.
I want to make it easy for users so instead of stopping users and making them go back to the parent issue to complete the field, here are the steps I think could work well:
- User clicks Pass on the subtask and the transition screen opens
- If there is already text in the parent instance of the custom field, display it in the subtask instance. User can Pass the subtask.
- If there is no text in the parent instance of the custom field, disallow Passingof the issue until a minimum of 10 characters is entered in the custom field.
- Copy the entered text back to the parent instance of the custom field.
My question is: where do I start?! Since I only do very basic code, I usually put these things together by hacking together some sample scripts but I've only found a one-way script that works in the parent > subtask direction. I'd greatly appreciate some pointers.