How can I find out the status of this: (I don't want to use a validator)
Unfortunately, using validator is the only option now. Any reason why you can't do it?
here you go:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5783
They won't implement it. The supported jira-suite-utilities gives you the ability. They've already pointed to it as reason not to implement it or something else it does.
Indeed. I don't quite understand "I don't want to use the method that is designed to meet this need, and is the only way to do it"
The only difference between a validator and a required field is that you get a red * on fields that are required in a regular way. When using a validator it does not show a red *. I agree that this is a minor thing, but my user base has complained about it to me, that it is inconsistent. I explained that the red dot means it is required at all times, and not just during the transition, but I got blank looks back. It would be a neat feature to have the validator add the red star whenever the conditions are met to make the field required but that would be some work, as the scripts can be fairly complicated.
OK, off the soapbox.
Next
Robert
If they can't be trained for this minor difference dump them. I find it best to only put required fields on transitions. If you do that it will make the training simple, if it's on the screen it is required for the transition. If they don't fill in the field the transition won't proceed and they get a message they need to fill it in. The exception would be the comment field JIRA automatically adds to all transitions. You'll never be able to code around all user errors.
I'd like the red * to get rid of the handful of "it didn't tell me" complaints, but as someone who has used JIRA for <mumble> years, I don't really care. I fill in the fields I think I want to, click go, and when I miss a mandatory one, it tells me (unless the admin has set up a bad validator that doesn't)Totally agree it's a very "nice to have". But given the stuff I want Atlassian to do, it's a hundred and eleventy twelve on the list...
Agreed Nic. a hundred and eleventy twelve lol never heard that one before. Just pointing out why someone might not want to add a validator. And Joe, I cannot dump my users as that is my customer, but I can tell them hey that is just the way it is, live with it. Yeah it is so minor that I will not even create a change request.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.