Our Unix team doesn't support POP or IMAP mailboxes and instead uses sendmail to send/receive emails on a Unix server. Sendmail appends new emails to a text file under the /var filesystem. I followed the "Add Service" instructions under "Mail Service Configuration" as the documentation says the File Service handler is configured similarly to the POP service. The only difference between what I did and the POP mail setup instructions is that I did NOT create a POP mail server under "Mail Servers."
When I enter the "Subdirectory name" in the Edit Service screen, Jira throws an error saying the directory doesn't exist. I've left it blank, entered the full path to the sendmail text file for the Jira user account's mailbox, and entered a "temp" directory (and created a temp directory in [jira.home]/mail) but these attempts all produced the same error (leaving it blank doesn't produce an error but it doesn't work either). I set the "-Dmail.debug=true" property on startup and enabled debug Jira logging but I'm not getting anymore information in the logs.
Does anyone know if you can create issues/comments from emails without a POP or IMAP mailbox and with sendmail instead? If someone has successfully configured this, would you be willing to share the steps you took to get this configured? Thanks!

