I run 64-bit version of JIRA 6.0.1 under Windows 7 x64. Database is hosted by SQL Server 2008 running on the same instance of Windows.I need migrate JIRA to another instance of Windows and database will also be hosted on that other Windows instance.I read this documentation article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server and I am not sure why it needs to be so complicated.Documentation says that I need to1) backup JIRA database to XML backup2) backup JIRA home directory,3) install new JIRA instance4) point new instance home directory to restored backup of old JIRA home directory (at what step of setup and how exactly am I supposed to do that? I couldn't find any details)5) Connect new JIRA instance to empty database6) Restore XML database backup.Why can't I just to this:a) Backup SQL Server database on old server and restore it on new serverb) Install JIRA on new server and connect it to the database I restored in previous step?
Well, approaches a) and b) from my original post didn't work. I had to install to new database and then restore from XML backup.
Hi Joe,
Both methods will work. The approach we suggest, though, consider that you might be migrating JIRA from a platform to another, by example, getting rid of SQL Server and going to MySQL, or even replacing Windows for a Linux server. Indeed, backup/restore a database may sound hard for end-users, rather than create a XML in JIRA and restore in another system.
Best regards,Lucas Timm
Well, you should probably get a new server first..
example of one that will hold enough more so then you will ever need...
http://boss-tek.com/shop/hot-deals/ibm-system-x-7143d1u-4u-rack-server-4-x-intel-xeon-e7-4850-2-ghz/
Problem with XML backup is for large-ish instances (especially with attachments and what not) it could get stuck for hours and sometimes crash. Just amke sure it's not the case here.
any idea why it Did not work? For Confluence the migration process is similar to what you describe https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-confluence-between-servers-184150.html
does this mean using the same OS version and same Database Version does not require the more complex process and database export/ import + moving the install and home folders are enough? I tried the 'a and b' method for Confluence as described [here|https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-confluence-between-servers-184150.html] and it works perfectly. Why wouldn't it work for Jira?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.