When configuring application links (in this case between JIRA and Confluence) is the URL entered one that has to be accessible publically, or can it be one that only the server can access. That is, from JIRA, can I give a URL for Confluence of http://localhost:8081, or do I need to use its public, canonical URL?
Our situation is this:
We have our JIRA app server behind a load balancer. The App server cannot contact the load balancer. I tried to configure the application link with the external address, But that URL actually points to a load balancer, and the firewall prevents the app server from contacting the load balancer, so configuring the app links fails. The application (Confluence in this case) is running on the same app server a JIRA. Can I just use the localhsot URL for the application link (as well as the application link from Confluence to JIRA)?